When the “1956-1969 R60SS” (illustrated on another webpage) arrived at Barrington Motor Works as a 1964 R50/2 it was accompanied by this 1967 R50/2. While the 1964 R50/2 was to become a “man’s motorcycle” in the form of the “1956-1969 R60SS”, this 1965 R50/2 was to be that man’s wife’s rider.
After a complete motor rebuild with new bearings, seals, gaskets and re-ringing after honing of the cylinders the machine was given a general going over. The final drive and transmission were trouble free and no service was necessary. The wheels were rebuilt with fresh chrome spokes and the wheel hubs serviced. The ignition system was thoroughly serviced and a reproduction ignition coil installed.
But to make this bike comfortable and safe for its owner rider several alterations from original were made. The /2 controls were replace with /5 controls such that upright and widely spaced mirrors were easily adapted. In addition, the /5 controls, unlike the original controls, had a switch for a brake light for the front brakes. Bar end signals were fitted and wired to the Enduro bag lights to give additional rear end signal lighting. A /5 signal switch was used.
In order to make use of the centerstand easier, an assist handle was added to the rear fender. And in order to make use of a sidestand easier, a Flanders stand was used instead of the short, unstable and nearly invisible (when sitting on the machine) original sidestand.
Enduro bags were fitted to give some carrying capacity without raising the height of the rear of the bike to facilitate the mounting of the machine.
Although the machine was a total success for its rider after the above work, all good things must come to an end and the machine was sold. It is to be replaced, much to the satisfaction of its former owner, by an R58, the ultrarare stablemate of the R68. More on that R58 later.
Mouse over arrow bars to scroll thumbnails
Click on arrow bars to scroll faster